Plastic Bag & Plastic Film Recycling
Summary of Plastic Bag and Plastic Film Recycling:
- Whenever possible, use a reusable bag.
- Reuse bags over for groceries, as trash can liners, pet poop pick-up.
- Recycle clean plastic bags and plastic film.
- Ask retailers to put up reminder signs to bring a bag.
- Ask retailers to offer discounts for using your own bag or charge for bags.
(Target offers 5 cents off for each bag a customer brings; Aldi charges for bags)
Retailers Accepting Plastic Bags and Plastic Film:
Plastic Bag and Plastic Film Information
Most grocery stores and many large stores, such as Walmart and Meijer take back plastic bags. Plastic bags are considered plastic film. All clean plastic film can be recycled with plastic bags. Please recycle only clean, dry plastic bags and film. Remove receipts or any other items from bags.
• newspaper bags
• dry cleaning bags
• bread bags
• produce bags
• toilet paper, napkin, and paper towel wraps
• furniture wrap
• electronic wrap
• plastic retail bags (hard plastic and string handles removed)
• grocery bag
• sandwich bags and zip lock bags (remove hard components)
• plastic cereal box liners (if it tears like paper, do not include)
• Tyvek (no glue, labels, other material)
• diaper wrap (packaging)
• plastic shipping envelopes (no bubble wrap/remove labels)
• case wrap (e.g., snacks, water bottles)
• All clean, dry bags labeled #2 or #4.
For more information, view PlasticBagRecycling.org