School Earth Flag Information
The Will County Earth Flag School Program has been going strong since 1998. We encourage schools to become environmentally aware by completing four Earth Tasks:
- Recycle Paper and one additional material (ink cartridges, cans, bottles, plastic bags, etc.)
- Use Both Sides of photocopies or loose leaf paper; institute a double-sided policy.
- Invite Will County to your school for a presentation to one grade level or environmental group.
- Students and faculty become environmental ambassadors to the remainder of the school.
- Perform One or More Activities From the List Below:
- Start an environmental club (meet at least monthly to discuss environmental topics);
- Start composting organic food scraps at school (using compost bin or worm farm);
- Perform at least 2 waste-free lunch days during the school year;
- Host a recycled art fair to showcase student projects;
- Join the TREX Plastic Bag Recycling Challenge at www.trex.com/recycling/recycling-programs/
- New-Grow Trees in the classroom We deliver seeds/seedlings during our visit to your school;
- New-Plant and maintain a school garden learning about nutrition, pollinators, and native plants; OR
- New-Teachers attend Energy Summit for Schools earning 2 contact hours. Only $10 go to www.pdaonline.org to register
Download the application to get your school on board! Take a look at our ideas for Earth Flag activity suggestions. And check our listing of Will County schools who have proudly displayed the flag since 2005!