School Earth Flag Information
The Will County Earth Flag School Program has been going strong for over eleven years. We encourage schools to become environmentally aware by completing four basic Earth Tasks:
- Recycle Paper and one additional material (ink cartridges, cans, bottles, plastic bags, etc.)
- Use Both Sides of photocopies or loose leaf paper; institute a double-sided policy.
- Invite Will County to your school for a presentation to one grade level or environmental group.
- Students and faculty become environmental ambassadors to the remainder of the school.
- Follow-up report submitted to Will County related to information presented.
- Perform two Activities of Your Choice involving one grade level or school club by May 1, 2013.
- Host a collection event to save landfill space and give items a new purpose (shoes, clothing, books, etc.);
- Start an environmental club (meet at least monthly to discuss environmental topics);
- Start composting organic food scraps at school (using compost bin or worm farm);
- Perform at least 2 waste-free lunch days during the school year;
- Host a recycled art fair to showcase student projects;
- Become a Lights4Learning school;
- Entire school uses natural lighting one hour a month, eliminating overhead lights (Earth Hour);
Download the application to get your school on board! Take a look at our ideas for Earth Flag activity suggestions. And check our listing of Will County schools who have proudly displayed the flag since 2005!