Summary of Foam Plastic Recycling and Disposal:
- Foam plastic is NOT accepted in curbside programs.
- Foam plastic must be CLEAN to be recycled.
- Foam plastic is polystrene with air blown into it, also known as the trade name Styrofoam.
- Foam plastic may be labeled as #6 PS.
- It is commonly used for meat trays, formed packaging, packing peanuts, take out containers.
- When placed in a typical landfill, it will not degrade and may remain for thousands of years.
- Foam Plastic that cannot be recycled should be placed in the garbage in a manner that prevents it from blowing loose when the garbage is emptied into the truck.
Businesses Accepting Foam Plastic:
- Clean/Dry Meat Trays
- Clean/Dry Cups
- Clean/Dry Take-out Containers
- Clean Egg Cartons
- Formed Packaging Materials
Many stores that package and ship items (such as UPS stores) accept clean, dry packing peanuts for reuse.
©2010 Will County EEC. All Rights Reserved | Web site design and development by Americaneagle.com